Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Doobie Brothers Concert Review



The Doobie Brothers concert on Friday, April 29, 2011 at Merlefest in Wilkesboro, NC

Setlist: 

1. Take Me in Your Arms (Rock Me)
2. Jesus is Just Alright
3. Dangerous
4. Rockin' Down the Highway
5. Clear as the Driven Snow
6. Nobody
7. Far From Home
8. World Gone Crazy
9. Chateau
10. Takin' it to the Streets
11. Don't Start Me (to) Talkin'
12. Little Betty Pretty One
13. Black Water
14. Long Train Runnin'

Encore:

15. China Grove
16. Without You
17. Listen to the Music


To my dismay, I didn't get to watch this concert, I only got to listen.  I had to work storage from 9:00pm - close, so all I could do was concentrate on the magnificent sound coming from the Watson Stage - electric guitars (beautiful tone), acoustics, saxophone, harmonica, bass, drums, etc.  This band can ROCK.  They're as rockin' a live act as I've ever heard at Merlefest.  They blend their instruments together so well, do these amazing three or four-part vocal harmonies, jam out with prolonged instrumental work, and really get the audience dancing.  They put their energy and their emotions into their music, and the audience's reaction reflects it.  Vocally, they remind me of Crosby, Stills and Nash and The Beatles.  Musically, I think they're more influenced by the rootsy approach - sort of like the Allman Brothers.  I definitely recommend checking these guys out if they come to your town; they don't disappoint.


No comments:

Post a Comment